Your smile is a very important aspect of your overall appearance and it can also make a very powerful first impression. But not everyone has the perfect smile. Sometimes that can impact their confidence and the manner in which they interact with people. The good news is that it’s possible to have a stunning smile with the use of various cosmetic dental treatments.
This is called a smile makeover, and the right kind of treatments can significantly improve the appearance of your smile, giving you the confidence you want. Some common procedures that are used in smile makeovers include:
- Porcelain veneers
- Tooth implants
- Teeth whitening
- Composite bonding
Aspects Taken into Account
Your smile makeover will be entirely customized to your specific needs &desired cosmetic outcome. Some of the aspects taken into consideration while creating a tailored plan include our:
- Hair color
- Skin tone
- Facial esthetics
- Smile Design Principles such as your tooth display, shape, length, width, proportion and color and also your lip line when smiling.
Smile Makeovers- Changes That Can Be Made
A smile makeover can be performed for various reasons and customized as per your unique requirements. The treatments used will be based on what you like/dislike about your teeth. Your cosmetic dentist will review various aspects of your smile that might need improvement.
They will have detailed discussions with you and also show you digital images to get a better idea of what the final outcome would look like. Some aspects that can be improved in smile makeovers include:
- Tooth Color- Old amalgam & silver dental fillings can be easily replaced with composite restorations that look like natural teeth. It’s possible to improve the color of dulled or stained teeth with teeth whitening. The shading and color of your teeth are important aspects your dentist will keep in view while evaluating and preparing for procedures such as bridges, crowns, dental implants, composite bonding, and porcelain veneers etc.
- Balance and Harmony- Teeth have to fit your face. They also have to fit within what cosmetic dentists call “the frame”. The frame consists of your gum line or gingival architecture and your lip line. To be aesthetically pleasing, your overall tooth shape and size needs to be in balance within this frame and with your face. Interestingly, Leonardo da Vinci’s Divine Proportion or Golden Ratio is applicable to teeth. This ratio, when artistically applied to smile makeovers can truly make a smile makeover a success!
- Spacing and Alignment– Teeth that have large gaps between them, are overlapping or crooked can be aligned and straightened if required via treatments such as Invisalign, orthodontics or veneers.
- Missing Teeth– If you have one/more missing teeth that can have a negative impact on the appearance of your smile. In addition, they increase the risk of tooth decay and affect your bite. Partial dentures, bridges and dental implants can be used to replace missing teeth.
The aesthetic aspects of your teeth that could be part of your smile makeover plan include:
- Tooth Length
- Smile Line
- Tooth Proportions
- Tooth Texture and Characterization
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, any successful smile makeover requires a very good understanding of your goals as a cosmetic patient.
Is a Smile Makeover Right for You?
You could be a suitable candidate for smile makeovers if you experience issues such as:
- Chipped, crooked, unevenly spaced or worn teeth
- Gaps between the teeth
- Missing teeth
- Unhappy with your existing dentistry
- Teeth are discolored, stained or dull
- Excessive gum tissue
- You avoid laughing, smiling, and speaking when you are around other people
- You’re aren’t happy with the overall appearance of your smile
- Wish you could improve your smile when you see yourself in photos
Our cosmetic dentists will first evaluate your oral health before they develop a plan for your customized smile makeover. After conducting a thorough evaluation of your bite, the underlying support structure, gums and teeth, the cosmetic dentist will determine whether you are a candidate for these procedures.