Periodontics in Chicago and Lincoln Park
Periodontics is a specialty field in the dental industry that focuses on a person’s gums and the underlying bone. Periodontics, which generally is associated with gum disease, has grown in popularity as patients have started taking a proactive approach to the cause of the deterioration of their teeth and not just the teeth themselves. We think about it as attacking the medical problem instead of treating the consequence.
As the gums become exposed to plaque, they develop a condition called periodontitis. This condition causes the gums to become darker and swollen. While many believe that dark gums are a sign of health, it is actually the opposite. This condition will force the gum to start to pull away from your teeth, leaving gaps. Once those gaps are subjected to plaque and bacteria, the condition spreads ultimately resulting in tooth decay and loss.
Periodontists are dentists with three years of experience and training in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum disease. Because of the crossover in the two industries, it is fortunate many dental practices house both general dentist and periodontists. In the event you experience any of the below, you may want to consult your local dentist who may recommend a periodontist:
- Change in Your Bite: A change in your bite may be the result of gum disease as your teeth are separating from your gums and shifting to cause the change. This will likely result in pain and discomfort chewing.
- Darkened or Bleeding Gums: As mentioned above, the darkening of your gums may be a sign of gum disease. It is important to catch this early.
- Tooth Loosening: Loosened teeth may be the first noticeable sign of gum disease. Consult a periodontist right away in you feel your teeth feeling dislodged.
- Receding Gumline: Often thought of with tobacco use, a receding gumline may be the result of gum disease and may be easily treatable if caught early.
As a specialized area of dentistry, periodontology is often the subject of questions. The following procedures are involved in periodontology. Please note that this is not an exclusive list, but simply common procedures.
- Gum Graft Surgery:A gum graft is a quick surgery used to combat the effects of gumline recession. The surgery involves having healthy tissue from the roof of your mouth removed and placed on your gum to assist in its rebuilding. This allows for the gum to appear natural as the same tissue is being used.
- Dental Crown Lengthening:Dental professionals utilize dental crown lengthening when there is insufficient bone exposed to place a crown. This procedure is relatively simple and generally will take approximately an hour.
- Scaling and Root Planning:Scaling and root planning is in itself a deep clean. It involves removing the plaque from the surrounding area and smoothing over the surfaces of the exposed roots that have been affected by bacteria. Comparable to your regular cleaning on steroids, this procedure is simple and a preferable option for gum disease that has not progressed.
We appreciate you taking the time to review our website and dental offerings. At Lincoln Park Smiles, we offer a range of cosmetic and restorative dental treatments that can make you feel confident in your smile and provide for a more comfortable experience. We understand that trips to the dentist are generally thought of as unpleasant, and we strive to make the process as enjoyable as possible. Our dental professionals are compassionate and highly experienced.
We look forward to serving you!
What makes you smile?
We love hearing about the other special things in our patient’s lives that makes them smile…
Old crowns on Ashley’s lateral incisors had outlived their usefulness and were no longer…
Fred’s four front teeth were found to be hopeless and had to be removed. In addition to his…